Tuesday, January 28, 2014

That Nosey, Old Friend 1/23/14

Impossible Cheeseburger Pie

Wasn’t Sunday something else in weather? The thermometer said it should be a nice winter day.  The wind contradicted that to the extent that made me wonder if spring were ever coming.  I was not outside much but a very few minutes was too long. Looks as if I will be at home for another week, especially since my trusty car refused to get past a few weak sputters. Maybe it was just trying to tell me that anyone my age should just be content at home.

I thought for a week or so that my nosey, old friend had decided to cool her jets and just mind her own business.  I should not have given her that much credit by even mentioning it.  I have a weakness for Maxwell House French Vanilla, sugar free, decaffeinated beverage mix. Whenever I feel sorry for myself, I prepare a cup of it for myself as a special treat. Just heat a cupful of water and add 4 teaspoonfuls of the mix. Everything went well and I set the mixture on the kitchen counter. I cannot drink anything that hot so I depended on my friend to remind me when it cooled somewhat.  Guess what?  She was not paying attention to business and let it get stone cold.  What could I do except reheat it?  So back to the microwave.  I know I punched in 50 seconds!  The next think I knew I heard an explosion of some sort.  Upon closer scrutiny, there was still a number of minutes left on the time dial!  That nosey whatever had added a zero or so to the time.  It was in a Corelle mug which was now in hundreds of small slivers with my drink running all over the turntable. She has now been banned from my home and I am  looking for new locks for on all my doors!  Watch for her and do not let her in yours.

It is still ringing in my ears since my youngest sister told me often that if they ever take Velveeta cheese off the market, I would not be able to cook.  After today you may agree with her since the two recipes called for cheese that I am passing on to you today caught my attention as I was searching in a cook book for a new idea.  We are so spoiled with already prepared foods that we have almost forgotten how to cook from scratch. When my family was all at home I cooked macaroni and cheese often for the whole family. But since I am worrying about feeding just me, it is so simple to grab a box of prepared macaroni and cheese, sometimes I add a can of albacore tuna and dinner is ready.  So this recipe for macaroni and cheese is very suitable for family dining. It also resembles very closely the way my aunt made it that I enjoyed.
         
MACARONI AND CHEESE
4 cups uncooked macaroni
2 cups Velveeta cheese, cubed
1 ½ sticks butter
2 ¼ cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs
Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Heat milk, cheeses and butter together. Beat eggs and stir into the cheese and milk mixture. Add macaroni, salt and pepper to taste. Place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.
     
IMPOSSIBLE CHEESEBURGER PIE
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup milk
½ cup Bisquick
2 eggs
Cook beef and onions together. Add salt. Spread into 9 inch pie plate and top with shredded cheese. In bowl stir together Bisquick and milk. Beat eggs and add to this mixture. It may be lumpy which is all right. Pour over the meat mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.


Do not despair. Spring will be here in a few more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment