Monday, January 13, 2014

Angels 12/19/13

Do you believe in angels?  I certainly do. They have been abounding around my home for over a week.  Remember last week when I was having a pity party for myself because I was missing an important Christmas party?  That evening when I was mentally imagining what they were doing at the party, the front door bell rang.  It is seldom that I ever get company at that hour, so I cautiously turned on the front porch light. When I opened the door, there on my built-in porch were eleven angels with their wings and halos showing. Closer scrutiny revealed eleven of my club members who had left their Christmas supper before dessert and came to my home to serenade me with Christmas carols!  They also brought me a carry out meal from their supper. Another magic evening. I will give you the recipe for the loin roast that their hostess served with cheesy potatoes. 

The angels were busy, too, during and after the snow storm this weekend. Saturday morning a son-in-law diligently shoveled snow in my driveway twice, only to have it fill up again in an hour. I credit a neighbor with clearing the sidewalk and a narrow path to my front door. When I was getting ready to call it a day, I noticed two trucks with snow plows clearing the bank parking lot. They had taken a major swipe down my driveway, clearing a huge part of the snow. Also either an angel or one of Santa’s elves was hand shoveling along the edge of the bank. When I looked out this morning, I saw where he must have shoveled to my front door.  I do not know who to thank for sure but I am sure they all have halos and wings, including another son-in-law who finished the driveway this afternoon.

I had something special for Christmas ready to include in today’s efforts.  I haven’t seen my nosey friend for a few weeks, but she certainly must have been here and hid it from me.  Just so she didn’t take it home with her so I can use it for next week.  Let’s forget about her and just go to the food department.
            
FATHER BILL SCHOOLER’S PORK ROAST
 2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon Rosemary
3 bay leaves crushed
1 ½  teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoon pepper
Combine all ingredients and rub on pork roast. Wrap in saran wrap. Chill in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 1 to 2 hours before baking at 325 degrees for 1 to 2 hours until meat thermometer reaches 175 degrees.
         
HOLIDAY FIG TORTE
30 to 35 Fig Newton cookies (1 pound)
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
2 large bananas, sliced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups cold milk
1 package (5.1 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 carton (12 oz.) whipped topping
½ cup chopped pecans
Red and green maraschino cherries, drained
Cover the bottom of a 13 x 9 in baking pan with cookies. Beat cream cheese with sugar until fluffy. Spread over cookies. Toss bananas with lemon juice. Arrange over cream cheese layer. Whisk pudding mix and milk for two minutes. Let stand for two minutes. Fold in half of the whipped topping. Spread over bananas. Spread remaining topping over pudding layer. Sprinkle with pecans and decorate  with cherries. Cover and chill overnight.

Make the day before and eliminate some of the holiday fuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment