Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cookbook for sale!!! 8/15/13

One of the most depressing factors of this task is noticing how fast each of the months are passing by.  I hate to think of heavy coats, mittens, boots and snow shovels, not to mention increased heating bills. Now here I go, forgetting about one of my rules of a happy life.  Do not spoil today by fretting about the things that are less than ideal, but thrive on the good things that come your way.  So let’s just go to the job at hand.

By now you have probably guessed that I am unorganized as to where I planned to go with this. Time is short and I have to produce this evening because I have tomorrow so packed with things I “gotta do” that make waiting until morning for an inspiration is out of the question.

Today was a very nice pleasant family experience.  My son and daughter-in-law who live in Kendallville invited both of their extended families to their home for a combination shower for their youngest son and his fiancé who are planning an October wedding.  Their oldest son, who lives in South Bend, has accepted a position at a very large parish in North Carolina. He and his family are leaving to move there next week. All of my kids live fairly close by according to today’s rule of thumb, but these grandkids have different ideas! Following a gathering of the ladies inside for the shower while the men were grilling burgers and brats outside, we all enjoyed an outdoors sharing of an abundance of food.  Even though we will be sad thinking of the distance, our hearts are filled with prayers for success in both ventures. Also, we are filled with pride in the success of their endeavors in searching for great futures. 

An added pleasure was that I got to see some of my youngest great grandkids who live an inconvenient distance away so I see them only occasionally.  One was only a few months old that I had not seen at all, one sat on my lap for a good 10 seconds before he decided that his mother looked better to him than I did.

I am  also unprepared for recipes to pass on to you.   While pacing the floor praying for a revelation, I noticed our new Parish Cookbook laying quietly on the dining room table. Someday I will find a place I want to keep it and rid my table of at least one unnecessary item. My usual pattern is to scan my oldest books for something I think will interest you.  Today, after changing my mind at least four times, I decided on two submitted by two ladies whom I know quite well and are excellent cooks. If you want to know who they are and if you do not already have a cookbook the remainder of our supply will be on sale at our Fall Festival next month.

Speaking of cook books, I have a few, well maybe quite a few reprints of my cook book. This was my dilemma.  I needed a few but to get a few would cost me as much as a lot of them. Consequently, I did not tell my kids what I spent some of their inheritance on. This is the way I have it figured.  If I sell only a few, each kid will have to take only ten of them if they find the remainder of them under my bed when I decide to go to my heavenly home. Mr. Tinker told me that when he had five hundred of them on his desk it got scary. Then I purchased one hundred.  Through the years, being very cautious and sticking to that conservative amount, the ones I now have now, and may have to eat, bring the total to 1000.  I have seen on Facebook people begging for 1000 likes. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to have God grant me enough years to move this last printing, so my kids will not wish they had taken my money away from me.
Now before I forget which recipes I decided to use we better get that accomplished.
            
HAM and SWISS CASSEROLE
1 pkg. (8 oz) egg noodles, cooked and drained
2 cups cooked ham, chopped
16 ounces shredded cheese
1 cup (8 oz.) sour cream
1 can cream of celery soup
½ cup green peppers, chopped
½ cup green onion, chopped
Combine soup, sour cream, green pepper and onions. Set aside. In a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish, layer ½ of the noodles, ham and cheese. Spread ½  of the soup over the layers. Repeat the layers/ Bake uncovered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Just changed my mind again.  I decided on one that I do not know the cook that well but I sit beside her in church quite often and her husband looks healthy enough. It looks like my kind of recipe. Not too many ingredients and fewer directions. I will save the dessert recipe that I had chosen for another time.
            
MEXICAN CASSEROLE
1 pound of ground beef
½ onion, diced
1 quart whole tomatoes
1 can chili beans or kidney beans, drained
½ cup uncooked rice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Salt and chili powder to taste
shredded cheddar cheese on top
Brown beef and onion. Mix all together and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.


If you think I have stopped doing stupid stuff, tune in next week for a detailed description of my recent lack of common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment