Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Community Magic 8/1/13

Orange Cinnamon French Toast

I wrote this last week in the middle of the night. That is my excuse for dating it wrong. Really I had a very small yearly calendar by my computer and misread the actual date for the coming week.  I took care of that problem and have replaced it with a life size calendar!  Hope it gets me safely through the rest of the year.

Another eagerly awaited celebration has now gone by the wayside.  Hope you local readers participated in the annual festivities that we once knew as the Homecoming.  Now known as The Festival Of Flags, it is much different but that is the way with many facets of our lives.  I always attend the Thursday evening festivities and watch the parade.  Many congratulations are to be passed to a number of our local celebrities. Each is important in itself, so I will mention them in the order that they occurred.  A well deserving honor was given to our special citizen as an Ambassador of Edgerton, Stevie Kimpel.  This was followed by the announcing of our Citizen of the Year. This honor went to Don Buchs, who quietly in his humble fashion goes about town being kind to many of his friends and neighbors.  I was once a recipient of his kindness and generosity.  I was enjoying lunch at the Bulldog cafĂ© with my sister, only to find that he had paid for our lunch. We both secretly rationalized that we were the main reason for his kindness, but were smart enough to not ask any questions.  Edgerton is blessed to have both of you as residents and friends.

Also, many thanks need to be given to our community choir and its director, Kevin Riehle.  It takes a special person to devote time from an already busy schedule to make this a successful venture. I am certain that the choir members enjoy singing, but it also takes dedication and much time to develop the fantastic results.  There is much talent there, but it probably takes a little magic to shape the different voices and personalities into a community production.  Our heartfelt thanks go to each of you for a pleasant evening.

Another very important celebration on Saturday was the ninetieth birthday of Wilma Hornbeck, held in Williams Center.  My sister expressed her desire to attend the celebration but is confined to a wheel chair. She is too much of a challenge for me to transport, since I quite often need help myself. So we cried a few small tears and her daughter agreed to furnish us transportation.  Wilma was a childhood friend of ours and a distant relative.  Her dad and our dad were first cousins. We were also connected with the same youth group from our churches. Back in the early 1940’s, I would occasionally go to her family home and spend the night. I also have a picture of  us together, taken  in probably 1942 in bathing suits!  What a change that many years makes! Our blood connection was distant enough that she did not have to claim us as relatives, but the good times we had as kids made us want to help her celebrate her reaching this great milestone. Best wishes to you ,Wilma for a great year.

To help get us from this to food is a great leap. After the parade my daughter asked me if I wanted to go to the park and get a sandwich.  That sounded much better than going home and making a peanut butter sandwich or crackers and cheese.  We were on a short time schedule and our preferred choice was a sausage sandwich. They were not ready to serve them for another hour, so we settled on a fried bologna one. We were quite a ways from the parking lot and my neighbor was there on a John Deere cart that I won’t name because I would call it something that is not politically correct. She graciously, realizing that I am not a youngster any more, asked me if I needed a ride to the car.  So this was an unexpected, added experience to the weekend celebration.

Now back to food. During the weekend another ego building experience was several readers, one an “older” man, who relayed to me the enjoyment they get from my ramblings and recipes. A positive response from readers is what keeps me going.  Those of you who don’t appreciate it , just go to page 4 and 5 !
            
ORANGE CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon cinnamon
3 eggs
½ cup orange juice
6 slices bread
Combine butter honey and cinnamon. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Spread to coat bottom of pan. Beat eggs, orange juice and salt if desired. Dip bread into egg mixture and place in prepared pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown. Invert onto a serving platter. Serve with extra honey and butter if desired.
            
BEEF TENDERLOIN STROGANOFF
1 ½ pounds beef tenderloin, cut in thin strips
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 ½ cups beef broth
¼ cup sour cream
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt to taste
Hot cooked noodles
Toss beef in flour. Brown beef in butter and oil. Gradually stir in broth. In a bowl combine sour cream, tomato paste, paprika and salt. Bring beef mixture to a boil. Reduce heat. Slowly stir in sour cream mixture. Do not boil. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Serve over noodles. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment