Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sharing Others Magic 1/31/13

This week is another interesting date, all ones and threes.  I was just hoping there was another Thursday in January because, again, the months are speeding by. Hadn’t thought about needing five Thursdays this month to get my wish.

Since the cold weather, I have been hibernating more than usual which does not supply many magic moments.  So I am surviving on the ones that have developed from members of my family.  A son, daughter and three grandkids attended the March For Life in Washington D.C. this past week. They were very impressed with the experience. It is amazing how many thousands of caring people expressed  convictions by travelling there. I saw one comment that puzzled me.  One football player who was a victim of a hoax on a computer occupied national headlines for days, but the demonstration of thousands opposing the killing of thousands of innocent babies by abortion went unheralded.  Where are our values?

Another son has spent the entire month in Texas on a business venture. A daughter and son-in-law travelled to Washington state to visit their son who is in the military. The mobility of  everyone is a chunk of magic for me.  When I was their age, going to Ft. Wayne was a big deal. 

My later years were blessed with some travel.  I went to Alaska  and Hawaii with my husband. When my son was in the army in Germany for three years I had the privilege of visiting them. (Was very nervous flying over the ocean, because I can’t swim !!! ) I was excited about two unimaginable experiences. The first was when my husband and I, with  two of my siblings and their spouses flew to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, then went on a three day excursion on a wagon train in the Teton Mountains. Almost outdone by that was when 10 relatives, mostly my siblings and spouses drove to Alaska and were gone 6 ½ weeks! So I guess I should not be having sympathy pains because my age and bad weather are keeping me close to home now.

After an unusually quiet Sunday, I am doing this at an earlier hour than last week.  I have promised myself, to my kids delight, to rid my household of some things that are important to only me.  As I was looking through my collection of recipes,  I came across a sheet of heavy , very colorful paper with two interesting recipes.  I thought “Aha, if I use both of them I can recycle that paper!”  Don’t criticize. Every little bit helps.  Really, I have made a couple of trips to the free store also.  It is hardly noticeable though.

Now back to my recipes.  In case these do not interest you, remember that I passed on one that called for horseradish in whipped cream! That was almost enough for me to go on a hunger strike! An added encouragement of these is that they can both be made at the same time in the oven, take very little preparation time and a short baking time. Sounds ideal after a too long shopping trip some afternoon when your family is expecting more for supper than bologna sandwiches.
                        
OVEN FRIED DRUMSTICKS
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all purpose baking mix
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon pepper
10 chicken drumsticks
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour the vegetable oil evenly over bottom of 15 x 10 baking pan. Combine baking mix and seasonings. Mix well and put in paper bag.  Add the chicken, a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. Arrange on the prepared baking pan. Bake chicken, turning once, until juices run clear, about 30 minutes.
                     
APPLE CRUMBLE
FILLING:   4 large apples
                   2 tablespoons  firmly packed brown sugar
                   1 teaspoon cinnamon
TOPPING: 2/3  cup flour
                     1/3 cup rolled oats
                     3 tablespoons white sugar
                      1 stick of butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish. For the filling, peel, core and slice the apples. (I prefer Empire or Jonathon. Granny Smith are down low on my list, but are suggested. Layer the apples in baking dish. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the apple slices. For the topping, place the flour, rolled oats white sugar and butter in a bowl and mix well. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the top. Bake until apples are softened, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm. A dip of ice cream would be additional joy.

Enjoy the heat wave that the weather man has promised us this week..

1 comment:

  1. Max, I had the privilege of attending the March for Life in DC too! It is incredible that 650,000 people marching on the capital can be ignored.

    ReplyDelete