Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Birthday, Anniversary, and Christmas All-in-One 1/24/13



So much for good intentions!  After a very quiet day, since I had seen most of my family at a delayed 85th birthday celebration for my sister-in-law, I decided that there was no reason why I could not have this done early this evening. But as I glance at my watch, I see it is nearly 10:00 p.m. and I am just getting started. The main obstacles being the fact that I chose to sit in my easy chair with a book in my lap from which I intended to pick out some outstanding recipes for you.  An hour and a half later, I realized I had not turned a page nor made a decision, but I certainly felt rested.

Back to the birthday celebration...  My brother’s wife decided early in her life that she was going to get married on her 18th birthday!  Two things were secondary. It happened to be on Christmas day, and she happened to be dating my brother! It lasted for 62 years until his death in 2007, producing  a bunch of very nice kids,  right next to mine!!  (it is probably a matter of prejudice as to which comes first!) Since December 25 was Christmas, her birthday and wedding anniversary, the family postponed the open house until this weekend at her home. It was a very pleasant afternoon with good food and congeniality among friends and relatives. Happy birthday again, Phyl.

A great shortcoming was noticeable with the absence of my sister, my only remaining sibling, who is a patient in the hospital following complications from knee surgery. We accuse her of spending her spare time thinking of health problems that others have not experienced.  Now I am sure a lot of people have a knee replacement. But she did hers a little differently.  After some complications, she had to go back for another surgery on the same knee and is in for a long recuperation. Her knee is in an immobilization cast and will be for six weeks while she cannot bend it. Work on a speedy recovery, Kork, (Margaret to you who do not follow our nicknames) while you cannot do much of anything else.

I imagine you are having some withdrawal symptoms after I used all main dishes last week. So I will try to remedy that with all desserts this week. I found them in a magazine that I have kept for several years just because I knew I was going to try them.!   Hope you do. They are both simple starting with a box mix.
                                    
PUMPKIN SQUARES
1 package ( 18 ¼ oz. ) yellowcake mix
¼ cup cooking oil
4 eggs
1 cup chopped English walnuts
1 can (15 oz.) solid pack pumpkin
1  can (14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Set aside ½ cup of the cake mix for filling. Combine the oil, one egg and remaining cake mix. Press into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan. Sprinkle with ½ cup walnuts. Combine pumpkin, milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, reserved cake mix and remaining three eggs. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 t0 50 minutes. Cool and
cut into squares.
                         
CARAMEL PECAN BARS
1 package yellow cake mix
½ cup softened butter
1 egg
FILLING: 1 can sweetened condensed milk
                 1 egg
                 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
                 1 cup chopped pecans
                 ½ cup brickle toffee bits
Combine cake mix, egg and vanilla until crumbly. Press into the bottom of a 9 x 13  inch baking pan. Beat milk, egg and vanilla until combined. Pour over crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.

After listening to the weather forecast, I intend to hibernate most of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment