Wednesday, June 6, 2012

6/7/12

I do not know which direction this is going today.  I  have been struggling this morning with a concrete idea and not settling in on  any pattern.  This week had too many “Sundays” following last weekend’s trip to Kentucky, Memorial Day celebrations, graduation parties, a golden wedding celebration and a double birthday dinner in addition to the ordinary demands of living.  I might mention a few highlights then just go on to recipes, which I have finally decided to use.

After attending the breakfast at the K of C Hall, several family members walked to the cemetery for the annual festivities. We dawdled too long visiting family gravesites and visiting.  By the time we got to the downtown festivities they were winding down, but I was  very impressed with the man who was singing .  I am sorry to say that I never heard nor saw his name so I cannot give him his due credit.  He has received a blessing that I always thought I would enjoy immensely if God had seen a possibility in granting me that talent.  He sang so effortlessly and seemed to enjoy what he was doing.  I was taking a nap when the music talents were distributed but I do enjoy other people using their blessing. A number of us posed with the hat collection and the image of Clem.

Last week  at a special meeting of my Home Extension Club we listened to a report of an official officer  who is responsible in  eleven northeast Indiana counties covering meth misuse.  I have read in the news about the apprehension of meth lab operations, but had never imagined the  seriousness of the problem nor the nastiness and dangers  of the drug itself.  Wish my aged mind could have stored and recalled  all of the information.  My prayer is for any youth that are considering trying it and for the release of the drastic hold it grasps on anyone who has already chosen that danger. Meth lab has a different meaning to me now.  It seems that it is just perhaps a 20 oz. soft drink bottle, that is readily available and small enough to be able to afford the ingredients needed. Most of the ingredients are found in most every household. They are very volatile if found along the road where someone has had to discard them quickly.  If found do not attempt to pick them up yourself, but notify officials as they are very explosive.

I am downsizing my collection of cookbooks.  Now I need to downsize the downsizing. Yesterday I sent a box of them with my son who is helping with a book sale for a Relay for Life project in his home town.  As I was double checking a large very nice church sponsored book of old fashioned recipes, I noticed some very simple ideas from the era l that I grew up in where we made something from just what we had.   Both of these I am going to try.  Perhaps I have the cart before the horse and should have tried them before passing them on to you.  If you don’t appreciate them just keep quiet!
           
THREE LAYERED DINNER
1 pound of lean hamburger
1 small head of cabbage
3 cups diced raw potatoes
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup of milk
Shred cabbage and place ½ of it in the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Add 1/2 of the diced potatoes and them ½ of the hamburger.  Sprinkle salt and pepper on each layer. Add remainder in the same order, with hamburger on top.  Add milk and bake at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours or until potatoes are tender. (I might brown hamburger first, add water instead of milk.) There will be no icky, gooey, delicious desserts this week.  Next is an idea that I have never seen before and I have all of the ingredients and am anxious to try it.  Hope you are interested. also.
                                   
ECONOMY SAUSAGE LOAF
1 pound bulk sausage
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 onion, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
oatmeal
Mix all ingredients together and shape into a loaf. Roll in oatmeal. Place in a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Hope you have been intrigued enough about cleaning strawberries with a drinking straw to try it.   The idea has fostered a lot of community conversation and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment