Wednesday, June 13, 2012

6/14/12

I thought last year went fast. Here we are again half through a new month.  Surely hope we get that rain the weather man is promising.  Each day I think my plants in my very small garden are shrinking instead of growing.  They do not respond well to my cold water from the garden hose!

In case you have a short prayer list this week, please consider including a couple of issues from my list.  Four of my kids are acting as chaperones for a mission trip to Pennsylvania.  Two grandkids, one great granddaughter, at least 4 of my sister’s grandkids along with a number  of Edgerton kids help make up a group of 37 who will be sleeping in a convent and spending their days doing maintenance work on homes for people who cannot physically or financially manage the repairs. Prayers are needed for a safe and successful week. Along with the physical activities, there is time for deepening their spiritual needs and personalities. 

The annual Catholic Heart Work Camp is a favorite activity of many in our community.  I baked 10 dozen cookies to help diminish the food expense list.  I got in trouble trying to be efficient. I was so proud of myself when I had them all done and in the freezer several days ahead of schedule.  Wouldn’t you know I had company for supper on Thursday and used a container of two dozen.  So the last day in the afternoon found me quickly doing a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies that are quite simple to make.  I was rewarded for my generosity because the extra one I had to make were the best of the bunch in my estimation. They all made a supper break on Saturday evening at my niece’s home in Elizabethtown where they all enjoyed a pizza meal.

The other request is for a quick healing of a son-in-law who was quite extensively burned on both arms from a malfunctioning hog roaster. We are grateful  because it could have been much worse, but he does have a long painful recovery to endure.

Two of you readers supplied magic moments for me this past week.  I was visiting the nursing home last Friday afternoon. When I came home I had a message on my answering machine to call a certain lady whom I know fairly well but do not have much contact with. When I returned her call she wanted to tell me that she had passed on my suggestion for cleaning strawberries with a drinking straw to her daughter who has arthritis in her hands and was having a difficult time cleaning her strawberries. Also, important to me, was her enjoyment of each week’s article. Then later in the local grocery store, I greeted an acquaintance whom I hadn’t seen for a long time.  She made some pleasant comments and encouraged me to keep on doing this column. So here is at least one more!

As I was examining one of my cookbooks deciding if it should go in the “keep” pile or send it on its way,  I was captivated by a couple of recipes that sounded like good eating , had only a few ingredients and would be easy to make. So I guess that book will be a keeper for a while longer.
                                   
QUICK CHICKEN PIE
1 ¾  cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) condensed chicken soup
1 cup cubed cooked chicken
1 egg, beaten
1 cup biscuit mix
½ cup milk
Combine vegetables, soup and chicken. Transfer
to an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Combine egg,
milk and  biscuit mix. Mix just until moistened.
Spread over chicken mixture. Bake at 375 for 30
to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
                       
PEACH PUDDING
½ cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup milk
1 large can sliced peaches and juice
Melt butter in bottom of 2 quart baking dish.  Mix
together sugar, flour, baking powder and milk. Pour
1 large can of sliced peaches and juice on top of the
batter.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour. (Can use fresh peaches,
3 cups slightly sweetened.)

I just notice a hint for keeping strawberries fresh. Refrigerate them (unwashed) in an airtight container between  layers of paper towels. Should keep up to ten days if stored this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment