Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1/5/12

The holidays are fading into the past, but may the peace, joy and great memories stay with each of you well into the future. May the dawning of the new year bring only good things to you and may all of your prayers come to a positive fulfillment. The success of these wishes may depend on each of us and our Inner thoughts, desires and actions.  These we can control, so let’s each do our very best to make our corner of 2012 very special.

It is always a sad time for me when it is time to put away the Christmas decorations. Maybe that is why it takes me so long to get it done. I have one nativity set that is on display all of the time.  I justify it by the fact that it is a central part of my faith and therefore it doesn’t need to be put in a box and forgotten until next December.

Today has been a very, very dull day, but sometimes, especially after the busy Christmas season, we need a day of quiet solitude. I did prepare a little lunch for me and made my bed but have done no dishes or any other resemblance to work.

This past week brought two very special experiences to me.  Two grandsons who live in Texas made a post Christmas visit to Ohio. I saw one at our day after Christmas breakfast at my nephew’s home since my sister is no longer physically able to host it. One lives with his family near Houston and they stopped in my home for a nice visit.  They have two daughters, one whom I had never seen.  I think I enjoyed the experience more than she did.  She is six months old and came to me very willingly, but after looking at me for a few seconds started to cry and wanted her parents. It was a real treat to enjoy their company. The oldest one is very well adjusted and has a very advanced vocabulary for a two year old.  They come back to Ohio only once a year so I will have to hold the memory close for a long time.

On Saturday, I went to visit my sister at the nursing home in Butler, only to find that she was out for the day to celebrate New Years’ eve with her family. So I had a very pleasant visit with my aunt who is also a resident there. I stopped in to visit a new friend, who turned 100 years old last November.  She is such a delight to visit, always upbeat and pleasant. She is just the type of person I want to be when I get OLD!  Before Christmas I took her several Christmas cookies. She made me promise to come back, bring some more and eat them with her! One day she said to me, “Oh, you are so pretty”!   This was music to my ears but then I realized she doesn’t hear nor SEE well.  When I mentioned this fact to her she insisted that she could see that well! Memories like these create many Magic Moments in my life.

After all of the fancy food we have been having, I decided to go to a 30 year old cook book, which is a favorite of mine and find some simple, but tasty ideas for a change. This is different than any I have made.
                      
CARROT APPLE SALAD
4 medium apples, cored and diced
2 large carrots, shredded
½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
8 ounces sour cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ginger(I would probably omit this)
½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
Combine apples, carrots and walnuts.  Blend sour cream, lemon juice, powdered sugar, salt and
ginger. Pour over apple mixture.  Toss lightly to mix.
Let stand about 15 minutes to season.  Place lettuce
In a shallow bowl, spoon apple mixture over top and
toss lightly to mix.

For any of you who do not like the mess of making pie crust, you may like this version of a peanut butter pie.  I will probably make my own graham cracker crust and put it in the bottom of a 8 inch square dish.  You could double it for a larger container and cut it in squares, topping it with whipped topping, chocolate shavings and nuts.
                      
EASY PEANUT BUTTER PIE
1 package, (3 oz.) cream cheese
½ cup powdered sugar
1 carton, (8 oz.) whipped topping
¼ cup peanut butter
1 (10 inch) graham cracker crust
Mix well cheese, sugar, whipped topping and
 peanut butter. Spoon over crust. Top with chocolate
shavings, nuts and, whipped topping. Chill several hours.
Again, may 2012 bring only good things to you and your household,.

No comments:

Post a Comment