Tuesday, January 17, 2012

1/19/12

I hate to spoil any notion that you may have about me improving on the amount of dumb things that I do just because I have not mentioned any lately. I did an original one just a few weeks ago. I operate on a scripted schedule on Saturday mornings to get to my weekly hair appointment at 8:00 A.M.  I like that time because it doesn’t very often interfere with any social or just fun things that I might want to do. I arrived just in time. 

I usually take off my glasses and place them on the counter, but since my beautician was waiting on me I just sat in the chair with them still on my face.  She patiently removed them and placed them on the counter where I ordinarily put them.  She washed and set my hair, putting my glasses back on me as I usually read the paper while I am under the dryer. After reading the morning paper, I came back to be combed and as she removed the curlers, I held my glasses in my right hand by the bows and was casually rubbing them back and forth across my black slacks. I suddenly realized that something was amiss and quickly announced that I was missing the right lens!  Since I had already been there a good 45 minutes, she was certain that I had lost it in the shop and carefully swept the floor since a clear lens on a figured floor would be difficult to notice.  I drove home as I had apparently done when I came with only one lens, especially since my driver’s license states that I must drive with my glasses. 

Would you believe that I had not slept well that night and brought in the morning paper early and was reading it in bed. My scrunched schedule did not allow time for me to make my bed, so I stealthily tiptoed into the bedroom and there in my bed, lying amidst the morning paper was my lens from my glasses. The last time I got new glasses, I saved my old ones because I could still read quite well with them but the frames were weak. So I located them, fortunately, and went to my eye doctor the next week. As the technician was replacing the lens and adjusting them, I told her what had happened.  I made her day as she remarked laughingly, “Boy, that is the first time I have heard that story!”  At least I was original if not too bright, and gave her a chuckle for the day.


I have been as lazy as a hoot owl the past few weeks. I still have some pain from my case of shingles  for which I blame my worthlessness, so I have no desire to cook anything complicated and do not care much if I eat it after I do cook. So today the recipes that caught my attention are very simple.   The first one is similar to pizza, so should be a hit with all of your kids besides being easy to make.

                        EASY  PIZZA CASSEROLE
8 ounces cooked noodles
1 pound browned hamburger
1 cup dried onion (use fresh finely diced ones if you prefer)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Pizza Sauce
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice
Cook noodles, drain and brown hamburger.  Mix
together all ingredients and put into a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Top with shredded cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50
to 60 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

This next recipe will make a nice lazy Saturday morning breakfast when there is not so much activity getting maybe both parents to work and kids to the baby sitters.  It could also create some magic moments, such as we remember fondly when the kids were at home.  My husband worked the second shift for 16 years, which made him gone when they came home from school and they got on the school bus before he was up. So Saturday mornings were special and he cooked breakfast, mostly consisting of either scrambled eggs, toast and hot chocolate or pancakes. Sometimes circumstances make it necessary to create your own special memories. We also made special time for each other as I was usually up when he came home from work.
          
SUMMER SAUSAGE “N” EGG  WEDGES
4 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 ½ cup diced summer sausage
1 cup cottage cheese with chives
Combine eggs, milk, flour, baking powder and
 garlic powder. Stir in shredded cheese, summer
sausage and cottage cheese.  Pour into greased
9” pie plate. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes at
375 degrees. To serve cut into 6 wedges and sprinkle
with additional shredded cheese.

“Remember that every minute that you stay angry, you lose 60 minutes of happiness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment