Thursday, February 12, 2015

Miracle Soup 1/29/15

I was thinking how fast the month of January was whizzing by until the snow started piling up this afternoon.  When I typed in the date, I felt a ripple of joy at the number of winter days we have behind us. A bigger dilemma is what in the world will I write about this week.  After the favorable response I received for last week’s (which I enjoyed doing immensely) I am way out in left field for a follow up. Guess you will have to understand that an occasional upbeat one is an exception and you can’t expect to get one every week.

The closest I can come to any magic in the ordinary things of an ordinary day was this morning as we were walking from the church to the open house at St. Mary’s school, one of my farmer friends from my years of employment at the elevator asked ME to help HIM across the patchy snow and ice covered street! I knew he was making friendly conversation but it made my day.  
When your mind is as blank as mine seems to be, the best thing to do is go to food. So I have resorted to one of my old cookbooks to find something that will brighten up these cold blustery days that are forecast for the coming week. Let’s start with a soup recipe. It is a favorite of those who are trying to lose weight, but any kind of soup is good on a cold day.
                    
MIRACLE SOUP
1 package of onion soup mix           
4 cups water                                          
2 carrots, finely chopped                  
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 cup chopped spinach
2 celery stalks, chopped                   
½ green pepper, chopped                
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc.

Combine the onion soup mix and water. Bring to a boil and add all other ingredients.
Season with your favorite seasonings. Simmer for at least one hour.

For those of you who want something more substantial on a cold winter day, try
this bean casserole.

THREE BEAN CASSEROLE
1 can (14 oz.) pork and beans
1 can (14 0z.) lima beans
1 can (14 oz.) kidney beans
1 can (10 oz.) mushroom pieces, drained
8 bacon slices
2 medium onions chopped
¼ cup vinegar
1 cup brown sugar

Combine beans and mushrooms. Place in 2 ½ quart casserole. In a skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove slices and crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings and saute onions. Return crumbled bacon to skillet and add vinegar and brown sugar. Cook slowly until thickened. Pour over bean mixture and combine well. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


In case anyone is looking for me the next week, I will be out looking for some magic. Also I should write it down!

No comments:

Post a Comment