Thursday, January 15, 2015

Creamy Strawberry Pie 1/15/15


Gee whiz! Looks as if we have used up half of January! Don’t know where it went so quickly, but that means we are that much closer to spring. After being house bound for a week except a short trip to keep a doctor’s appointment, my mind has little resource to dwell upon for a column this week. So I will have to resort to a left over magic moments from last week. 

One of my grandsons has finished his studies for a doctorate degree in theology from Notre Dame, but has not finished his thesis, (still has 18 months to do that). The only job he could find that would support his family is in North Carolina where he is working in his field in a very large parish. He and his wife are both from Kendallville and were on a week’s vacation.  I knew they had come home for their family Christmas celebrations on the 26th. They have five children, whom I get to see seldom and the newest one, Toby who is four months old, I had never met.  I was thrilled to get a phone call last Friday asking if I were going to be home on Saturday. They were coming through Edgerton to visit an uncle. Praise the Lord, that put me on their list of important people and created a very magic hour for me. I was prepared for a short, but precious visit and was pleasantly surprised when he asked me if they could use my oven.  I quickly responded “Certainly, but there will be a small fee!”  Their family is on a very strict diet and they had prepared a large casserole that was on their acceptable menu. They all took off their coats, the kids found my toy box and we settled in the living room.  I got to hold Toby, who quickly gave me a wide smile, then slowly just accepted being on my lap.  Evie, who is four drew me a picture with a red colored pencil of a girl with a triangle dress and stick arms and legs with her  name printed across the top of the small heart shaped note paper. I still have it on my entertainment center with some family pictures. What a great day for a great grandmother to be important enough for a family to include me in their busy schedule. Thanks, Aaron and Lindsey.


After a wicked week of weather, and being out for a couple of hours on Saturday with the wind chill an unbelievable below zero reading, I decided I would just stay home from church on Sunday. I haven’t had my car out for a couple of weeks. When I got up this morning too late to get to church, I notice a very agreeable temperature and decided I should have made different plans. I don’t remember missing Sunday Liturgy since I have lived in Edgerton (32 years). After I ate my oatmeal and cinnamon, I turned to EWTN and noticed a priest talking.  I later realized it was a homily at a Mass. So I sat in my chair and reverently followed the rest of the liturgy.

I was so comfortable in my lounge chair cuddled up in my favorite throw that I received for Christmas from my son and bonus daughter. The next thing I knew I had had quite a lengthy nap. By the time I decided I would get around and put away my Christmas decorations I realized that Pope Frances was celebrating the Mass at the Sistine Chapel in Rome and was baptizing 33 babies! Sunday was the Feast of the Baptism of Christ and was a significant day for the baptisms. Until he had included all of the individual attention due each child it was a 2 ½ hour celebration. The time passed quickly like the first half of January. That made over three hours of very special liturgy that I would have missed if I had gone to church at 8:30 because I would not have turned my TV on. Hopefully I will be forgiven, but I possibly used up some of my penance that I thought I had over stocked!!

Are you still interested in food after so much good stuff during the holidays? I found that I still need my three meals a day. I am trying to cut down on calories, even if my stomach says it is time for some food. I found a soup recipe that will fill that requirement and it says it is very easy and quick to make. Also, soup is a very nice comfort food when the weather is nasty as it is supposed to be later in the week.
              
HAM AND BEAN SOUP
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 celery ribs, chopped
½ cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter
4 cans (15 ½ oz. each) great northern beans
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups cubed, fully cooked  ham
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 bay leaf
In a large pan, sauté the carrots, celery and onion in butter. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook for 15 minutes or until well heated.  Discard bay leaf before serving.

There is never a time that desserts are not needed, or at least, not appreciated.
           
CREAMY STRAWBERRY PIE
1 package (10 oz.) frozen sliced, strawberries
1 package (3 oz.) strawberry gelatin
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 ( 9 inch) baked pastry shell
Thaw and drain strawberries into  a I cup measuring cup. Reserve juice. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1 cup. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add ice cream, stir until blended. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or just until thickened. Fold in strawberries. Pour into baked pastry shell. Refrigerate until firm. Garnish with fresh strawberries if desired.


Wishing all of you a great year with only good things and many magic moments where you least expect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment