Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Serving is Magic 7/3/14

Goodbye, June.  The months are passing so quickly.  Seems as if it were only a few weeks ago that all we could do was complain about the snow, snow, snow. 

Saturday afternoon I was a part of bringing June to an end and the beginning of a great life together for my sister’s grandson, Kurt and his fiancé, Mackenzie at a beautiful wedding and reception in Ft. Wayne. It is such a blessing to be included in other people’s magic moments. Many good wishes go with the couple on their new chapter of Life.

I was faced today with the thoughts of it being a long, lonely day. Wrong.  I received a phone call from an acquaintance who wanted to stop in for a signature. We turned it into a very enjoyable visit by increasing our friendship to a higher level. I was reminded of the fact that she was the daughter of a past member, whom I had greatly admired, of a group that I attended.  Time passed quickly and was soon followed by the arrival of my son and his wife. They were entertaining their three small grandkids who live in North Carolina who with their mother are visiting Kendallville with their grandparents. (Dad had to stay home and work. No vacations on a new job.) They planned to stay for supper and brought part of the “fixings” along because they are on a very limited diet. They wanted to see Uncle Steve since he had helped move them from South Bend to North Carolina. 

Seems odd how quickly we forget the curiosity of preschool kids in an unfamiliar environment.  Things got moved that no one has noticed in years.  There is always something great about a surprise visit.  Ruth and Peg left the kitchen cleaner than it was when they came. Hurry back John Paul. Natalie, Evie and Judah!

I also had a magic day last week. A daughter-in-law gave me a Christmas present of a day of cleaning!  She told me that she was coming last Tuesday and I had planned to have her wash the windows in the kitchen, (which I can no longer do myself) and wash down the front of the kitchen cupboards. That would be a small miracle for me.  Instead she “spring cleaned’ the whole dining area besides washing down the cupboards. It was a fantastic gift to me.
Would you believe that the magazine I lost track of a couple of weeks ago finally resurfaced?  I think I remember the recipes I had chosen.  The first one is one I have never heard about, but maybe I have lived a sheltered life.  Sounds good to me. Think I would like it even without the ham.
              
HAM WITH MIXED FRUIT
2 pounds fully cooked ham steaks, cut into serving size pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 can (21 oz.) apple pie filling
1 can (15 oz. ) fruit cocktail, drained
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter, melted
Cook ham in oil over high heat, for 3-4 minutes on each side. Meanwhile, combine pie filling, fruit cocktail, brown sugar and butter. Microwave, uncovered on high for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through, stirring twice. Serve with the ham. This is a ten year old recipe so sizes of cans of fruit might vary with those of today.

Here is a quick Stove Top Supper that can be prepared very quickly and economically.
                        
VEGETABLE HAM MEDLEY
1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
1 cup diced fully cooked ham
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 package (10 oz.) frozen mixed vegetables
¼ cup sour cream
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, over medium heat, cook the ham, basil and garlic powder in butter for five minutes. Add vegetables, cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Drain macaroni: add to the skillet. Stir sour cream and ¼ cp of the cheese. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and let stand until cheese is melted.  Enjoy.


Remember that one of the best gifts that you can give to your elderly parents is doing something for them that they can no longer do for themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment