Friday, October 18, 2013

Magic in the Mundane 10/10/13

I have been fighting procrastinating ideas to put this off until I wake up in the morning ever since I suddenly realized that this evening was the time to create another “magic moment”.  My commonsense prevailed, realizing that when that ugly sound of the alarm ringing started my day all of my good intentions (and ideas) would suddenly vanish as I would pull the covers over my head to drown out the irritating sound of the alarm.

I had a low key week, so I had to search the mundane things of my existence for some magic. Guess what? When we look for it in those kind of situations, we will find it abundantly. I have told you about my special friend at the nursing home in Butler. She is rapidly approaching the age of 102, has a very keen mind, and to note a high of degree of magic, she likes me! She had been a friend of my aunt for years, my daughter worked with her grandson at the Elementary School and visited her with her students. Another grandson works with a daughter at Ingersol Rand in Bryan but I never knew her until my aunt and sisters were residents there for several years.  I like to minister to her by taking cookies and other things she likes, but are not on the regular menus served to the residents. The magic I find in my visits is the amount of appreciation and expressed thanks for what I do that makes me feel like she is ministering to me. 

On Tuesday I was there and she was having a bad day. I gave her my goodies and told her I would not stay and use her energy to visit with me.  I could tell this was not what she wanted and as time passed she was breathing easier and looked more comfortable. She was so generous that she credited my visiting her that made her feel better!  Magic indeed.

On Saturday evening, after coming home fairly early in the afternoon from a birthday party for my great granddaughter and accomplishing absolutely nothing, I had a sudden burst of conscience and decided that I should use the ground beef that I had bought to make a recipe that I had given you the last week in September. While I was industriously browning the meat with the onions and green pepper (this was a gracious gift, along with some green beans, cherry tomatoes, etc. from a friend and business neighbor who realized that this was my first year without a garden since 1947) when my phone rang.  It was my son from Wauseon who had attended the Vietnam War Veteran’s Homecoming Celebration at Parkview Field in Ft. Wayne with his cousin. He was on his way home and would come by if I were going to be home but it would be a short visit. Part of the magic in this scenario was the fact that I was cooking some food instead of two slices of toast and peanut butter.  I padded the casserole with part of a loaf of the pumpkin bread recipe that I gave you recently.  I had promised it to his sister, but she did not pick it up when I offered it so I may have to bake another one. It was a short but surprise visit so created magic in my day.  The rest of the loaf of pumpkin bread disappeared when another son and his wife stopped in  or Sunday evening supper. They had brought the basics of a meal, but I found a few things to pad the menu creating  magical moments with an unexpected visit.

This will be a very short jump to get to recipes.  Since I had a week when I was not feeling the best and am still a bit on the lazy side I found some very simple to prepare, but should be tasty suggestions in a soup and salad recipe book.   The first one would be more in the class of a dessert to me, but it is labeled a salad, so who am I to argue with the author.  Just make it and enjoy it.
                        
PINK PARTY SALAD
1 can cherry pie filling
1 (N0. 2 ) can crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 can Eagle Brand Condensed Milk
1 carton (12 oz.) whipped topping
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and spread in a 9 x 13 baking dish.  Chill for several hours.
            
MICROWAVE CHEESY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
1 cup  ½ inch cauliflowerets   (4 oz.)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup hot water
6 ounces Velveeta cheese, ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
Dash of paprika, nutmeg and allspice
1/2 cup half and half
¼ cup dry white wine, optional
Place cauliflower and butter in a 2 quart casserole. Cover tightly and microwave on high about 2 minutes or until crisp tender. Stir in water, cheese, half and half, bouillon granules and  spices. Cover tightly and cook on medium  high for 3 minutes. Stir in wine . Cover tightly and cook 2 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika and green pepper.


Already I feel better that I do not have to set my alarm for an early morning rising.  More magic in the mundane things of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment