Friday, August 3, 2012

8/2/12


Another milestone in the schedule of our town has just been past.  This year’s Festival of Flags is now just a memory. Hope you were able  to participate in at least some of the festivities.  I do not cover as many activities  as I used to when it was only a block away and I could see some of the action from my front door.   Age and  convenience play a big part of the change in my participation.  I did attend the Thursday evening program and was very pleased with the performances.

Our congratulations  and appreciation for his commitment to Edgerton are heartily sent to our new Citizen of the Year, Dave Casebere.   The posthumous presentation to Bill Siebenaler’s family was well deserved and very appropriate. The community choir presented a fine performance under the direction of Kevin Riehle in a tribute to his dad who started the choir years ago.  It is amazing to me how a group of townspeople who just love to sing under the direction of someone who loves music can be so professionally sounding.  Good job, all of you who used your  God given talents for our listening pleasure.

The acknowledgement of each branch of the service was also very memorable.   Thanks to all of those present and the others in our lives who served.  Since the parade was near my back door, I had a front row seat and enjoyed every entry. Thanks to all of you who spent the time and effort it takes to make floats.  They are my favorite entries.  Thanks also go to the neighboring school bands as well as our own Edgerton band because you cannot have a real parade without bands.  My biggest regret and unfulfilled intention was that I did not get to the K of C fish tent! I am looking forward to next year’s celebration.

Thanks are in order for the few showers that we were fortunate to receive and the drop in 100 degree temperature.  I was so sure God was going to bless us with another shower when It got  so dark the other evening. Only a  few sprinkles came our way, but we will hope we are in line for the lighter promise of showers for this week.

I had a recipe in mind, (I even knew where it was.) but when I was looking for another one an idea crossed my mind and I hope I will remember what that one was for next week.  There was a section of recipes for kids in my cook book. So here are a couple you can use when you are entertaining grandkids.  They will be much more popular than a broccoli casserole or spinach salad!
          
WIENER CASSEROLE
¼ cup butter
¼ cup diced onion
¼ cup diced celery
6 wieners, sliced
1 egg,  beaten
1 can (12 oz.) cream style corn
1 can (10 oz.) tomato soup
½ cup buttered bread or cracker crumbs
Saute onions, celery and wieners in butter. Mix beaten egg with corn. Put wiener mixture in 1 ¼ quart casserole.  Cover with corn mixture and add tomato soup on top. Cover with butter crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Makes six servings.

HOMEMADE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
I carton of your favorite ice cream
1 box of graham crackers
Snap graham crackers in half. Slice ice cream into slabs a little smaller than the cracker. Put each slab of ice cream between two crackers. Wrap individually in plastic wrap and put in freezer for at least 30 minutes.

Think I will make a few for myself with “no sugar added ice cream”.  Guess I am still a kid at heart. Maybe the wiener casserole would be a way to use up the ones I have in my freezer since a hot dog sandwich is not really appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment