Monday, May 14, 2012

5/17/12

Does anyone know where I can buy a large container of magic for a very small price?   I have myself in a bind with more to do this week than anyone should or can expect out of one little old lady.
Then, as I was trying to consolidate tasks and omit anything that was not absolutely necessary, I uncovered a note that I had volunteered three dozen cookies for a special project in Auburn! I decided that I could not leave them for tomorrow because I didn’t know how I was going to manage everything that had to be done besides forgetting that I had used my last card of hearing aid batteries. I do not think that anyone in Edgerton sells them. All of the things on my schedule are things that I really want to do, but why did they all come this week?  I think those cookies were the result of that nosy little old lady I can’t catch. She must have signed my name on that list.

I have an apology to make to all of you mothers.  I have trouble getting things done in the first place, then when I should think of things in advance, I really fall off the cliff.  Anyway now I do hope you had a very nice, fulfilling Mother’s day. Mine was top notch.  They must have believed me when I said “I do not cook on my birthday and Mother’s Day” because I was a guest at the local restaurant on Saturday evening and Sunday noon.  The day was complicated because two of my grandkids from the same family graduated at the same time. One received her Pharmacy degree from Ohio Northern and her brother graduated from Wabash College  near Indianapolis with a History/German degree.  Their mother went to one and their dad went to the other.   I am prejudiced and think that other things should not be scheduled on Mother’s day.  Is there someplace that we could protest or occupy?

Since I took time to bake my cookies this evening and when I came in to do my column, I had a note from a classmate that I thought I had lost contact with.  So I spent more time than I thought making connections with him before I started here. So we had better go to food before I fall asleep at the computer.

I have a strong interest in casseroles.  Mostly because most of them are easy to prepare, are good eating and give us a different angle on some foods.  The first old, old cook book that I picked out had a number of interesting ones to pick from. The first one I chose because the picture  was so tempting.  The only problem with that was I tried a new brownie recipe and mine do not look anything like the picture, so I am going to wait to give you that recipe until after I have eaten some of them and performed an autopsy.
           
BRAT AND TATER TOT CASSEROLE
1 pound uncooked bratwurst, casings removed
1 medium onion chopped
1 can (10 ¾ oz.) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1 package (32 oz.) frozen Tater tots
2 cups sour cream
2 cups ( 8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
Crumble bratwurst into a skillet, add onion and cook
 until no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the soup. Pour into
 a 9 x 13 inch, greased baking dish. Top with Tater Tots
and sour cream. Sprinkle top with cheese.  Bake, uncovered
for 35 minutes or until heated through . Serves 6.

I have heard people remark how well they like cashew chicken at Chinese restaurants, but I have never eaten any. So this recipe fascinated me. Hope it is as good as I think it will be.
                       
CASHEW CHICKEN
1 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into I inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups frozen broccoli
1 ¾ cups boiling water
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 jar ( 6 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¾ cup salted cashews
Salt and peer to taste
Combine chicken, onion, broccoli, water, rice, mushrooms, bouillon and ginger. Transfer to a greased shallow 1 ½ quart casserole dish. Cover and bake at 375 for 45 to 50 minutes. Stir in one half cup of the cashews. Sprinkle rest on top.

See you next week if I am still right side up!

No comments:

Post a Comment